What is the difference between PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) and BMC (Bone Marrow Concentrate)?
In general, PRP may be more appropriate for mild to moderate osteoarthritis or tendon injuries. BMC may be reserved for more challenging cases such as moderate to severe osteoarthritis or when more potent effects are desired.
PRP Injection Application Sites
- Wrist and Hand
- Lower Leg
- Ankle and Foot
What can be treated with BMC?
- Knee Pain - Osteoarthritis, Meniscus Tears (Medial, Lateral), Chondromalacia Patella, Tendon Injuries (Patellar Tendinitis, Quad Tendon), Ligament sprains or tears (MCL, LCL, ACL)
- Hip Pain - Osteoarthritis, Hip Labrum Tears, SI Joint Dysfunction, Piriformis Syndrome, Greater Trochanteric Bursitis, Iliotibial Band (ITB) Syndrome
- Shoulder - Osteoarthritis, Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Tendinopathy, or Partial Tears, Labrum Tear, Bicipital Tendinitis
- Elbow Pain - Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow), Medial Epicondylitis (Golfers Elbow)
- Wrist/Hand Pain - Osteoarthritis, De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
- Ankle and Foot Pain - Achilles Tendinitis or Partial Tears, Plantar Fasciitis, Ankle sprains/ligament injury
- Spine - Facet Joint Arthropathy, Sacroiliac Joint (SI Joint Pain) Dysfunction
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment: Peak (DePuy Synthes J&J)
(Therumo BCT) Harvest:
These procedures are done under local anesthesia. The blood is drawn the same day of treatment and approximately 45 minutes is required for a full treatment. The patient may experience between 2-5 days of soreness after treatment, and use of anti-inflammatory medications is not advised during the course of treatment. Depending on the specific problem, multiple treatments may be required. concentrates and captures your healing potential from a small sample of your blood to make your very own PRP.
Bone Barrow Stem Cell Therapy: Harvest (Therumo BCT) or FAT
This minimally invasive procedure is done under local anesthesia. The bone marrow harvesting may result in a dull aching pain for several days to weeks. Because of the potential for infection within the bone, this procedure is done in a complete sterile surgical environment. The entire process will take less than an hour, and most patients will have little to no restrictions following the procedure.
Viscosupplementation: Synvisc, Supartz, Orthovisc
Patients often suffer from pain when standing, walking up from sleep due to joint pain, or stiffness after prolonged sitting. It is ideal for patients looking for relief from arthritis pain, and who want to avoid surgery. Viscosupplementation is used to successfully treat mild to moderate cases of osteoarthritis of the knee, hip, and shoulders. It is a lubricating cushion injected between the rubbing bones
Biologics: Renu/NuCel (Nutech), FloGraft (Applied Biologics)
NuCel is an allograft derived from human amnion and amniotic fluid. Provides an enhanced environment for tissue growth, repair, and healing. Offers anti-scarring and anti-inflammatory properties. There are many applications in which the native properties of these human amniotic tissues may be beneficial to the patient.
FlōGraft® is a cryopreserved, injectable amniotic fluid-derived allograft that is used to protect and promote development of the injured site. These human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products (HCT/Ps) are minimally manipulated amniotic fluid products and intended for homologous use only.